- Almost all DHEA is produced by adrenal glands in Zona reticularis is adrenal cortex. Other sites are Gonads and Brain.
- DHEA secretion is approximately 30 mg/day in young men under sedentary condition and in Women: 20mg/day.
- Secretion increases in strenuous physical activities and stressful conditions.
- DHEA level decreases with aging.
- Emotional Stress increases DHEA level temporarily.
- High Protein and Saturated fat diet increase DHEA level.
- Sugar, Sweets, Cereals rich in fibre such as whole grain bread, and bran flakes reduce DHEA levels.
- DHEA's main actions are through conversion into more potent hormones.
- Through these hormones DHEA expresses typical Male and Female hormone activity, as well as enhances the immune system.
- One of the way it reinforces immunity is by converting into the very immune enhancing Androstenediol and Androstenetriol.
- DHEA appears to have actions of its own, probably through DHEA receptors in target cells, particularly endothelial cells of blood vessels and immune cells as suggested in several studies.
- It is believed that DHEA boosts the immune system and protects blood vessels against atherosclerosis partially by binding these receptors.
Indications For DHEA Replacement Therapy
- Androgen Replacement Therapy
- Subclinical Addison's disease
- Adrenal Fatigue
- Chronic Inflammation
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Mood disorders
- Component of Menopause HRT
- Component of Andropause HRT
- Component of Somatopause HRT
- Skin Pigmentation
- Polymyalgia Rheumatica
- Generalized arousal disorder in women
- Since 2000, DHEA supplementation has been used in reproductive medicines in combination with Gonadotropins as a way to treat female Infertility.
Test yourself for DHEA Deficiency (Both Men & Women)
Few recommendations by Dr. Deepak Anjana V. Chaturvedi to remember before going for stem cells based therapies
- Stem cells based therapies have the potential to be a great futuristic medicine.
- The effects of Stem Cells based therapies are yet to be proven.
- Go autologous first.
- Don't pay very hefty amounts for the same.
- Don't expect miracles but stay optimistic.
- Evaluate yourself thoroughly before going ahead with it.
- Don't fall prey to tall claims made by the therapy providers.
- Don't leave your ongoing treatment (medicines etc) without consulting your doctor.
- Everything has a potential to give unwanted effects or to get fail. Please stay prepared for the same.
Dr. Deepak Anjana V. Chaturvedi's view on Diet
- 1. No fixed rules about eating behavior.
- 2. Living long (longevity), Living healthy (wellness), Improved quality of life index (Antiaging) and living comfortably with one or more disability and disease are different entities.
- 3. Every condition mentioned in point no.2 needs different dietary framework.
- 4. Affordability and availability are other issues in practical life.
- 5. Religious and cultural factors affect human eating behavior very much.