What is Obesity?
- OBESITY is defined as a state of excess accumulation of body fat.
- It can result from increased energy intake, decreased energy expenditure or a combination of both.
- Although often viewed as equivalent to increased body weight, this need not be the case - lean but very muscular individual may be overweight by arbitrary standards without having increased adiposity.
- Obesity itself can be considered as disease as well as underlying cause of many diseases.
Measurement of Obesity
Body Mass Index (BMI) is the most widely method to gauge obesity. It can be calculated as (Weight in Kg)/ (Height in Meter)2.
|Healthy weight||18.5 - 24.9||--||--|
|Overweight||25 - 29.9||--||Increased|
|Obesity||30.0 - 34.9||I||High|
|Obesity||35.0 - 39.9||II||Very High|
|Extreme Obesity||≥ 40
Waist Circumference > 40 inches in men and > 35 inches in women is a risk factor.
Waist/hip ratio > 1.0 in men and > 0.9 in women is also a risk factor.
b) Diabetes Mellitus - II
c) Insulin Resistance
d) Cushing's Syndrome
g) Low Growth hormone
h) Low Testosterone
Complicating factors in Obesity / Metabolic Syndrome
- Increased waist circumference.
- Raised waist to hip ratio.
- Fasting Blood Glucose >- 100mg/dl.
- Diagnosed Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 (On/Off medication).
- High Serum Insulin Levels.
- High Blood Pressure.
- High Triglycerides.
- High LDL - Cholesterol.
- Low HDL - Cholesterol.
- High Serum Uric Acid Levels.
- Male Sex.
- Age < 40 years at the time of diagnosis.
The medical management for weight management has to be taken strictly under medical supervision of a consultant.
Complications of Obesity
- Diabetes Mellitus-II
- Insulin Resistance
- Metabolic syndrome
- Heart diseases
- Snoring/Obstructive sleep apnea
- Acid Reflux disease
- Respiratory diseases
- Gall stones
- Menstrual Irregularities
- Skin problems like pigmentation, acne, hirsutism etc.
- Cancers (Breast, Cervix, Uterus, Colon, Rectum, Pancreas etc)
- Endocrinopathies and hormonal imbalances.
Management of Obesity
- Education and Counselling
- Identify the risk factors
- Identify the Modifiable Cause
- Identify the Complications
- Treat the Modifiable Causes
- Manage the Complications
- Prevent further Complications
- Avoidance of risk factors
- Dietary Management
- Life Style Management (Exercise, Stress reduction)
- Sleep Management
- Medical Management of Obesity and it's Complications (Medical Bariatrics)
- Surgical Management Of Obesity (Bariatric Surgery)
- Post Bariatric Surgery life style modification
- Psychosocial Counselling and management
- Occupational Management
Non - Invasive Body Contouring
We understand that in today's world, self image perception is of prime importance. Non Invasive Body Contouring has gained lot of popularity in last decade.
- Zerona Lipolaser
- Cryolipolysis (Fat Freeze)
- Radiofrequency (Pollogen)
- Ultrasound Cavitation
Weight Control Questionnaire
Sexual Function Questionnaire
Mood and Memory Questionnaire
Few recommendations by Dr. Deepak Anjana V. Chaturvedi to remember before going for stem cells based therapies
- Stem cells based therapies have the potential to be a great futuristic medicine.
- The effects of Stem Cells based therapies are yet to be proven.
- Go autologous first.
- Don't pay very hefty amounts for the same.
- Don't expect miracles but stay optimistic.
- Evaluate yourself thoroughly before going ahead with it.
- Don't fall prey to tall claims made by the therapy providers.
- Don't leave your ongoing treatment (medicines etc) without consulting your doctor.
- Everything has a potential to give unwanted effects or to get fail. Please stay prepared for the same.
Dr. Deepak Anjana V. Chaturvedi's view on Diet
- 1. No fixed rules about eating behavior.
- 2. Living long (longevity), Living healthy (wellness), Improved quality of life index (Antiaging) and living comfortably with one or more disability and disease are different entities.
- 3. Every condition mentioned in point no.2 needs different dietary framework.
- 4. Affordability and availability are other issues in practical life.
- 5. Religious and cultural factors affect human eating behavior very much.
To know more about Non - Invasive Body Contouring please click here